Malta offers fast track EU citizenship to foreign nationals, and must make designated investments in Malta under the Malta Individual investor program. The EU citizenship is a lifetime citizenship to investor and his family members. Only talented, wealthy, highly educated applicants with excellent references are admitted into the Maltese IIP program.
- Full & Permanent lifetime citizenship in the European Union.
- Family and children can apply under one single application.
- No taxes in Malta unless you decide to live there for more than 6 months.
- EU/EEA citizens are eligible to apply.
- Visa free travel to over 160 countries including USA.
- Live, work, study, settle in any EU member states (Germany, Switzerland, France, Denmark etc..)
- No military service. No citizenship tests. No language tests
- No requirement to permanently live in the Country.
Malta citizenship by investment program is the first in the EU approved by European commission. Under the legal act of Legal Notice 47 of 2014 of Republic of Malta under “Individual investor program” grants individuals and families citizenship and passport who involve in technology, social and economic development in Malta.
Under the Malta citizenship by investment program, the investment has to satisfy all the 3 conditions below..
- NDF donation (€650,000 non-refundable) to National Development Fund
- Investment in Real estate (optional €350,000 if purchased) or rent a housing (€10,000 per year lease). Immovable property cannot be let or sublet under the rules and must be maintained for 5 years.
- Purchase Malta Government Bonds (€150,000 refundable maintained for 5 years).
Above payments must only be done after receiving initial approval from Malta Government.
Fee and Costs
Total costs will come around €900,000 (without real estate) to €1.2 million (with real estate). This includes additional costs such as lawyer fee, due diligence fee, additional family members etc..
The processing time is 12-15 months until certificate of naturalization and passport is granted.
Malta citizenship is a lifetime permanent citizenship with one time investment. Family descendants and new born babies automatically acquire citizenship.
- Main applicant must be 18 years old.
- Demonstrate Good health and undergo fitness test.
- No criminal record.
- Excellent references
- Dependents such as spouse, children (18 or less), Adult children (18 or more less than 27 years unmarried), Senior parents (aged 55 or above) must be fully supported by main applicant.
Citizenship application will be refused if, applicant or dependents
- Provide misrepresentation, false or concealed information.
- Has a criminal record (paedophilia, defilement of minors, rape, violent indecent assault, prostitution, abduction, kidnapping etc)
- Pose as a potential national security threat to Malta or member states in EU.
- Involved in any activity likely causing disrepute to Malta
- Denied a visa to a country with which Malta has visa-free travel arrangements (EU, USA, UK etc) and has not subsequently obtained a visa to the country that issued the denial.
- Associated with business willingly assisting enemy at war.
Citizenship Application Process
- Initital document preparation with retainer fee €10,000
- We will do due diligence test from our firm, if all goes well we will decide to accept you to launch your application with Malta Government. We do not accept clients unless there will be a 100% success rate with Malta Government.
- Submit IIP application to Identity Malta.
- In about 2 months, you will receive approval letter (green light), to remit investment €650,000 and you will be given 4 months compliance time to finalize all investments including buying bonds and real estate (accommodation).
- In the 6th month, you have to take oath of allegiance.
- After 12 months, you will receive “Certificate of naturalization” which is a proof for acquiring Maltese citizenship.
- You have to apply for Malta passport in 13th month attaching naturalization certificate.
All applicants and dependents have to satisfy residency requirements for proving genuine link to Malta.
Malta requires a visit of minimum number of days in the country in the first year of around 2-3 weeks only for completing various formalities with the Government authorities. Certificate of naturalization only issued after 12 months having proved “genuine link” to Malta and by satisfying residency-requirement.
Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan, Somalia or a country under international sanctions.
You have to arrange the following documents to attach to the application for naturalization under the investment program.
- Birth certificate*
- Police clearance certificate (all countries where you lived past 10 years, FBI clearance for US)*
- Marriage certificate (translated to english)*
- Business connection documents.
- References from bankers, lawyers.
- Global health insurance coverage 50,000 euros.
- Proof of source of income (bank statements).
- Health certificate from registered medical practitioner.
- Proof for current residence (utility bills)
- Personal details, family information, education and employment.
- Tax statements from the country of origin.
* All documents must be duly notorized or apostilled for use in Malta.
Malta does not require you to give up your current or existing citizenship, after becoming a Maltese citizen. Dual nationality is freely allowed.
The Minister shall every year publish in the Gazette the names of all persons who were granted Maltese citizenship under the IIP citizenship program.